GBHEM maintains a JTOM class of 15 fifteen (15) ethnic minority college and/or seminary students interested in pursuing ordained ministry in The United Methodist Church. New participants are selected annually based on the number of current JTOM students graduating that year.
- Be born of African American, Asian, Hispanic, Native American/Alaskan Indian, or Pacific Islander parentage (at least one parent)
- Be a member of a United Methodist Church for at least two years prior to applying
- Enrolled in a full-time degree program at a United Methodist-related school or seminary
- Be actively engaged in leadership activities in local church, district, conference, etc.
- Have made a definite decision to become an ordained deacon or elder in The United Methodist Church by beginning the candidacy process
- If a minor, have permission from parents or guardian
- Have the support of a pastor or chaplain
- Be willing to participate in the mandatory annual orientation/retreat program
- Be between 17-29 years of age
- Be able to verify academic ability (graduate minimum GPA 3.0; undergraduate minimum GPA 2.85)
Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year will be accepted from January 3 – March 1, 2017.